Henry Knowles48 Elm Street
By: Mimi Van Deusen
Henry Knowles was admitted to the bar in 1839, after which he joined his father’s law office. In 1841, he married Jane Brush and they had six children. Henry Knowles became one of Northern New York’s most prominent lawyers, and in 1863 he was appointed as St. Lawrence County Judge. Knowles built his home at 48 Elm Street which was later owned by Helen Hosmer, Crane School of Music Educator and today the home has been beautifully restored.