Skip to main content

View All Pins

Drawing of 27 Main Street from Courier & Freeman newspaper September 24, 1949.

27 Main Street

27 Main Street

In 1840, William W Goulding brought this property from Edward and Ruby Crary.  Joseph Hiram Goulding and his brother John (cousin of the Raymonds and…

Learn More
A. N. Tupper's manufacturing mark on rifle barrel in Potsdam Public Museum collection.

Augustus N. Tupper

3 Elm Street

Augustus N Tupper (c.1816-1886) lived in Potsdam for the majority of his life. A prominent citizen, Tupper engaged in a wide variety of business…

Learn More
Bayside Cemetery May 2019

Bayside Cemetery

730 Co Rd 59

Featured in the Sandstone Festival in 2010 for a vault tour, the Bayside Cemetery was incorporated in 1865 and is located on the west side of the Raquette…

Learn More
Tin Type of Captain Thomas Hickey

Captain Thomas Hickey

Thomas Hickey was born in Vanleek Hill, Canada in 1839. An only son of Irish parents, he came to Potsdam early in his life and made his home here. The "…

Learn More
Fireman's Hall, corner of Main and Park Street, Potsdam, NY. In the background is the Town Hall and Opera House. The current fire station was built in the early 1900s and made of brick. The wooden building in this picture from the museum's website is not dated.

Fireman's Hall

42 Main Street, Potsdam, NY

  The Potsdam Fire Department has been "Making House Calls Since 1857" proudly protecting the residents of the Town and Village of Potsdam, New…

Learn More

Goulding House

43 Main St

In 1841 William W Goulding owned this property. He sold it to his older brother, James Marshall Goulding and his wife Amanda Sanford Goulding in 1849. It…

Learn More
Henry Knowles

Henry Knowles

48 Elm Street

Henry Knowles was admitted to the bar in 1839, after which he joined his father’s law office. In 1841, he married Jane Brush and they had six children.…

Learn More

James Marshall Gouding

43 Main St

James Marshall Goulding was born in Phillipston, Massachusetts in 1805, the 2nd child of Joseph Hiram and Lydia Mellen Goulding. The family moved to…

Learn More

John H. Seeley

53 Market St.

John H. Seeley (1829-1883) was born in Dekalb and moved to Potsdam in c.1852 after buying Josias Smith. He and his wife Roxana (nee Coryell) had nine…

Learn More
Presbyterian Church, on Park Street across from what is now the Civic Center. It was constructed of wood and painted white - refered to as the "The White Church"

Presbyterian Church

3 Park Street, Potsdam, NY

From Marguerite Gurley Chapman's book; "Early History of Potsdam". In 1820 the Presbyterians decided to build a white wooden church on the Gospel Lot at a…

Learn More
Sanford building and store, from Courier and freeman., June 04, 1862, Page 3, Image 3

Sanford and Morgan Store

6 Market St (?)

In 1842 Joseph Horace Sanford purchased this property and constructed a building to house a dry goods store. During the  eighteen fifties,  his…

Learn More